Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Attempt #214 At Homemade Salsa

I don't like candy.  I'm not a big dessert eater...if I do eat dessert, it's just a couple of bites.  But chips and dip?  Chips and salsa?  Goodness, I could eat my weight in it.  So, I'm always on a quest to find the best salsa and then make it.

My sister-in-law, Maria's mother makes the best salsa I have ever had.  I have the recipe and it turns out okay...but it's nowhere close to hers.

I tried my own from the internet and it turned out to be spaghetti sauce. HAHA

Now this year, the goal is to recreate Chili's salsa, as per our Dad's request.  He may be stopping on his way here and buying some.

This is the original recipe I found on Pinterest:

1 large can (29oz) whole tomatoes, drained
1 small can whole or sliced jalapeños (not pickled) less if you want less spice
1/2 of a small onion
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp lime juice

Mix all in blender.  Serve with chips.

Here's what I did, based on what I had in the pantry, and what I did to try and "fix it":

Salsa  


28 oz can whole tomatoes
2 Serrano peppers
3 tsp garlic, minced
1 whole yellow onion, 4" in diameter
juice of one lime
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all in blender.  Serve with chips.

HELP


The texture was PERFECT.  I couldn't ask for a better texture.  But with the first bite, all I taste is tomato sauce.  It's the second chew that has the good flavor and a little bit of heat.  

How do I get that first bite to have flavor?

I spooned some out and tried vinegar, black pepper, more lime juice.  Nothing helped...it just made the salsa taste like vinegar, pepper and lime.  

Thoughts:
  1. I used minced garlic from a jar.  Does fresh garlic really make that much difference?  And the recipes I found only used garlic salt.
  2. I used fresh peppers, not canned.
  3. I used a yellow onion.  Should I have used a white onion?
  4. I thought letting it refrigerate overnight would help.  It still tastes good, bites 2-4, but that first bite is just tomato sauce.
So all you salsa makers out there.  Please weigh in.  Comment below, on Facebook or Pinterest.

Thanks in advance!!

See?  Just look that awesome texture!

No comments:

Post a Comment