Monday, October 14, 2013

Baked Fish a la La

Today I learned that Nicole isn't the only reason our cookbook will be named "Cooking Mishaps".

I am a recipe follower.  I am not a recipe creator.  Travis (my husband) can create...a little of this and a little of that...and come up with the most delicious dishes.  Several will be featured in our cookbook (thanks, honey!)  Me, on the other hand.  I can cook ANYTHING and it will be amazing.  As long as I have a recipe.

So the other night, I decided I wanted to make fish.  Travis caught some great pike and it was calling my name.  I searched on Pinterest for a good recipe and found this:

Baked Fish

4 Haddock (Halibut, Tilapia, Pike, or any white, flaky, mild fish) fillets (6-8 oz ea)

For the sauce [I think it was supposed to be a marinade, but I didn't have time for that nonsense]:
3/4 c soy sauce
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar or sherry [I used the vinegar]
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger [I used powdered]
2 tbsp brown sugar
6 cloves crushed garlic [I used minced from a jar]
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly cracked pepper
3 tbsp sesame oil for rubbing on fish [I didn't use that much, maybe a teaspoon per fillet]
[Lemon Juice]
[Crushed red pepper flakes]

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  2. Line glass pan with tin foil.  
  3. Rub fillets with sesame oil and season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes (on both sides).
  4. Mix all other ingredients in small bowl. 
  5. Pour over fish.  
  6. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until fish is completely white and flaky.

For the first time in my life - I read the list once and decided to make up my own recipe.  I put in parenthesis the changes I made and I have no idea what amounts of each ingredient I used.  I don't even think I could duplicate it. Which is one of the main reasons I don't love the "let's try this" approach.  It's SO good yet not replicable.

I can't believe how good it was.  And I was pretty proud of myself.

And then.

I was humbled.

In my glory, I forgot to turn the burner on the top of my stove off (for the side dish) and then I set the oven mitt on it.  Dang flat top stove that should never pair as a counter top!


Moral of the story?  Follow the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment